BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 4, 2008

Living an episode of Grey's Anatomy [minus McDreamy :( ]



"WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!" my alarm rang (yeah thats what i wake up to every morning.... weird considering i love dogs).. my cell phone flashed 6:45 am... i noticed the rain slammin against my windows.... "yuk, now im gonna have to go to work in the muck!" i thought, switched my phone off n went back to sleep on my extremely tiny double bed hoping my roommate would wake me up when she does.. if she does... but then coming to think of it, i can't really remember what made me get my bum off that bed n go to work.. but i am so glad i did because today was one of the best work days i've had in manipal...
First all my patients were mega co-operative and had to kiss only one patients ass to get her to walk and not stay in bed all day! Then i got to attend my very first surgery... and us physios getting to scrub in for surgery is supposed to be very very rare.. Okay so i din't do any cool cutting-vutting, all i did was stand n watch n stay out of the way, and also cut bandages for the dressing and focus the lights (because the nurses couldnt reach them) so the surgeons can see best :), yet it was one hell of an experience... i mean man had i seen it last year i'd have done so much better in my surgery paper! Beautiful... every bit of it... But highly tiring.. stood for 6 hours straight, by the end of it i was almost dozing watching them do the dressing..
i got to see 2 plastic surgeries.. well 1 n a half actually.. and no none of them were nose jobs or boob jobs :P.. first one was a tumour excision but we reached towards the end of it because we had to treat patients of our own... the next one was a skin graft in a burns case (won't give u any gory details).. the best parts were harvesting of the graft, cauterization (where they take a hot iron and coagulate blood n seal blood vessels or even destroy tissue without causing any unnecessary bleeding) and suturing... Now i look at the surgeons in a new light.. they must have a heart of steel.. the whole time i was in there i had to remind myself that "it was not hurting the person.." at one point i even told myself "he wasnt human" jus so i stopped feeling sorry for him going through the surgerical procedure. But it din't gross me out or made me wish i was not in the medical field.. :) i love my job and the part i play along with everybody else in the system. :)
Anyway i got out of the OT at 3:45 pm and had to rush into burns ward to treat my afternoon batch of patients.. there this elderly nurse started chatting with me only to realise that she worked with my granduncle who worked as a surgeon decades ago when our teaching hospital had just begun... Now that made me proud.. for once someone din't ask me "Do you know Girish Karnad ?(no offence, i'm sure you're a great person but i have no idea how we are related even if we are)"...
Well it was only after i got out of the hospital on my way back home did i realise how tired i really was... Exaltation is the world's best anaesthesia and it had worn off now! Damn!

1 comments:

Descorpio said...

hey..really nice post! Keep writing (and while you are at it, read my blog as well..gosh! talk about product placement..)