BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Random jabber.

On a very lethargic Wednesday evening i started watching Finding Forrester (its a movie, for those who haven heard of it)... I vaguely remember watching it a long time ago, liked it even then.. but its one of those movies that i would like more the 2nd time, cos i'd absorb and appreciate it better (Dark Knight is another one of those movies).
P.S i watch most movies with a freakishly tiny window into my brain sometimes.

Anyway the movie is about an Afro-american teen writing prodigy who finds a mentor in a withdrawn writer. I would agree it leans towards Good Will Hunting and The Scent of a Woman a little bit. But it has a charm of it own. Or may be its just Sean Connery *wink wink* (yes i, like any other normal woman in her 20s, have a thing for older men.. Sean Connery, Gregory Peck and Robert Redford are some of them. But i learnt at an early age it only gives u a big boo-boo in the lub-dub, so much for time heals all wounds huh? Mr.Time, its your fault Gregory Peck was a grandfather by the time my hormones kicked in!)

"Losing family obliges us to find our family.
Not always the family that is our blood
But family that can become our blood."

This was one of the dialogues from the movie that got my attention.

I moved out of home when i was 17 for university. I still wonder if it was a wise decision. Some times i think it was, because it has made me much more confident than i was as a timid 16 year old, taught me lessons i would never have learnt protected at home, lessons that help me maintain my attitude towards life. Then there are days when i think it wasn such a good idea, its made me so independent that being home makes me feel a little claustrophobic and underestimated for an adult. It does not mean that i don't love being home and am not counting days for that super-long flight back home (YAYYYYYY!!!) in about 2 months.

I often end up in long conversations with the local people here when at work... usually about me (The general rule is to talk about THEM but i KNOW for a fact i've got better stories about ME to tell than talking about their dog). The people almost everytime ask me if being so far away from family feels scary. Truthfully, YES it does. It feels SO scary that i don't look at the wallpaper at my workplace cos it has world maps tiled on it showing me in print how far away i actually am. Its a gory reminder that going back in not an option on days that i need a hug from Mom n Dad and a punch on the shoulder from my brother. On those days, you just have to take a deep chilly breath and fill that void with chocolate or go to sleep.

Good thing, life has turned out surprisingly well. Im happy, and not because im constantly telling myself 'to be happy'. I have an amazing bunch of friends at home, university and work. Im lovin the place and the people that surround me, love the course im doing, the job, the house im in and if the people here were introduced to Garam Masala im sure i'd love the food as well.

I dont miss Bangalore much, as a city, the two of us have always had bad chemistry... since when i was 8 and moved there... stayed on even when i was 21 and came back after graduating. If it wasn HOME, id probably never go back. What i've been talking about all along here is Family... turned out i tend to make a new family wherever i go to make up for the ones i left behind.

Of course it need not be said that nothing can replace the Karnads ;) (and the Benegals and the Nagarkars and the Murus and the Hemmadys............. and the rest of my unimaginably humungous family)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay im going home in (about) 80 days!!

0 comments: